Shipping precious metals through the mail does not have to be an intimidating process as long as you follow some basic guidelines. However, you need to be cognizant of the fact that in many cases you are shipping extremely valuable merchandise. Therefore to prevent theft and lost or damaged packages you need to make sure you are shipping your materials properly. In addition, to speed up the processing time you can choose the option to overnight your package or express ship them.
What TO DO:
- Include all of your contact information along with your shipment such as: full name, address, city, state, phone number, email address, and a copy of your driver's license or state ID number.
- Ship all packages with the most reliable and reputable carriers such as: USPS, UPS or FedEx.
- Inquire at the post office about using flat rate shipping boxes.
- Make sure your shipment is securely packaged with the use of proper packing materials such as: sturdy boxes or padded envelopes, bubble wrap, air bubbles, packing peanuts, old news papers, strong shipping tape etc...
- Purchase shipping insurance for your package for approximately the value of the shipment.
- Fill out & submit AML compliance form.
- Choose one of the various tracking options available with your carrier of choice in order to monitor the whereabouts of your package as it is in transit.
- Weigh your items in grams or troy ounces before you ship.
What NOT TO DO:
- DO NOT write gold, silver, platinum or any other identifying words on the outside of your shipment.
- DO NOT ship in gold plated items
- DO NOT ship any metals in a regular envelope with a stamp
- DO NOT ship any package without purchasing a tracking method or insurance